Museums and Collections Manager
£51,261 (Grade 12)
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to develop and lead Renfrewshire Museums and Collections service as a senior museum professional. You will provide strategic oversight to the operational delivery of core business functions at a significant and exciting time in the service history.
Renfrewshire Museums and Collections service is currently contributing to the flagship £42m investment project for Paisley Museum Reimagined – the flagship project for Paisley’s cultural-led regeneration. We are seeking a passionate, skilled and experienced professional to help shape the final stages of this exciting development for Paisley Museum in tandem with key museum and collections service improvements.
A critical aspect of the role in the first two years will be to ensure that the accompanying development of the museum and collections service is building on the ambition and the work of the flagship Paisley Museum Reimagined project. This service development also takes place in the context of an organisational transformation journey for Renfrewshire Leisure which you will also support.
As a key member of Renfrewshire Leisure’s senior management team, the post holder will also be expected to support Renfrewshire Leisure’s executive and management teams in leading cross functional projects that may not be directly related to the museum. Supporting integrated working is key principle for Renfrewshire Leisure as a whole that enhances service and staff development.
If you relish a challenge and have experience of change management, are passionate about the role of museums, collections, heritage and culture within our communities, and can demonstrate your skill sets in relation to the role priorities outlined below, then we would love to hear from you.
The role reports to the Paisley Museum Re-Imagined Director. The PMR Director has the overall responsibility for the vision and strategy to establish Paisley Museum as an innovative, international-class visitor destination, creating a high quality visitor experience that engages the local community and supports the aspirations of Renfrewshire Council and Renfrewshire Leisure, which connects to the wider museums and collections service.
Renfrewshire Leisure is a vibrant and ambitious culture and leisure charitable company that delivers services and experiences across Renfrewshire. Originally established in 2003 to manage and deliver sport and leisure services in 9 venues on behalf of Renfrewshire Council, in 2015 the charity was expanded to include the delivery of cultural facilities and services, increasing our asset base to 64 venues and over 20 outdoor recreation sites.
The portfolio includes;
- Paisley Museum Campus (re-opening 2023) comprising:
- Paisley Museum within the Paisley Museum campus
- Coats Observatory within the Paisley Museum campus
- Transit House within the Paisley Museum campus
- Heritage Archive Centre within the Paisley Museum campus
- Paisley Museum Garden within the Paisley Museum campus
- The Secret Collection Store (first publicly accessible museum store on a UK High Street, opened 2017) which facilitates guided tours for public and formal education groups, as well as specialist research and conservation.
- Renfrew Museum (opened 2012, 4-star awarded visitor attraction) housed in Renfrew Town Hall and an important local attraction within a community setting
- Collections and Archives covering material culture from across all disciplines, including new research indicating a significant world culture collection and key highlights such as the Recognised Collection of National Significance to Scotland of the Paisley Pattern shawl collection.
Paisley Museum Re-Imagined Capital Project
Paisley Museum was founded as a place of learning at the heart of the town – and the building and collections have a remarkable history.
Paisley Museum is being transformed into a world-class destination at the heart of life in the town. In future, this dynamic space will use the museum’s remarkable collection to celebrate Paisley’s untold stories with the world. The reopened museum is expected to draw 125,000 visits per year, bringing much-needed footfall to our town centre, helping local businesses thrive in the future.
The museum is the flagship project within Renfrewshire Council’s £100m investment in cultural venues and outdoor spaces, and when it reopens in 2023 will be renewed as the cultural centre of your community.
More information can be found within the documents below:
For a confidential discussion, please contact Catriona Mackie at Aspen People on 0141 212 7555.
To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter below.