Edinburgh, 2 day commitment per month, 3 year term, with possible renewal of one further term.
Social Investment Scotland (SIS) is a social enterprise and charity offering loan funding and business support for social enterprises, charities and community groups. Passionate about social investment, SIS’s mission is to connect capital with communities to make a real, measurable and sustainable impact upon people’s lives. SIS’s vision is for an Impact Economy, where social entrepreneurs, businesses, consumers, investors, and government are aligned and focused on delivering impactful actions and meaningful outcomes.
SIS are on the search of a new Chair to head up their dynamic board. Over the last 21 years, SIS has deployed over £116m in 400+ social enterprises and mission-driven businesses across the UK and grown to a position where their customers touch the lives of at least 4.3 million people each year. SIS’s fantastic work and impact is supported by their board who bring their knowledge, experience and strategic vision from a variety of sectors, united by their passion to build SIS’s impact across Scotland and beyond.
The successful candidate will join at an exciting and critical time for SIS and the wider social investment sector, as SIS approaches the mid-point of their ten-year strategy, ‘Building an Impact Economy’. In the Spring of 2022 SIS agreed to the second action plan in line with this ten-year vision. This plan, ‘Turning up the Volume’, aims to articulate a bolder and more confident vision for SIS and the broader social enterprise sector. The Chair role provides a pivotal role in this plan, to drive further success for the organisation and social enterprises businesses across the UK.
Role responsibilities include:
- To lead and manage the Board and working closely with the CEO to set strategic direction for SIS.
- Along with the rest of the SIS board, to be responsible for setting and agreeing SIS strategy and the associated action plans that guide progress.
- As a Board along with SIS committees, to be responsible for monitoring financial progress, the audit cycle, overseeing risk and ensuring robust financial management and oversight of SIS funds and group companies, including SIS Ventures and the Social Growth Fund.
- To provide strong, focused governance to the charity.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a breadth of experience and specialist knowledge that can help shape SIS’ future success.
- A strong track-record of experience and subsequent knowledge in the social enterprise space.
- Be skilled at making strategic, operational and financial decisions.
- Possess strong financial acumen and evidence of accountability.
- Display strong governance experience having previously or currently held a Board position.
- Have a genuine passion for SIS’s impact across Scotland’s communities.
This is a great opportunity for someone who is passionate about Social Investment and has a drive to use their experience to lead the Board to ensure growth and sustainability for Social Investment Scotland.
For more information on this fantastic opportunity, please visit https://aspenpeople.co.uk/sis
For a confidential discussion, please contact Lauryn Pringle or Debbie Shields at Aspen People on 0141 212 7555.
To apply please combine your supporting letter and CV in one document and upload below.
Closing date for applications: 31st of March.